Concrete Batchman - Old Manor
- - Old Manor
- Full Time
Responsible for producing quality ready mix concrete in the most safe, efficient, and cost effective manner possible. This includes ensuring the delivery of the product to the correct project, at the right slump.
Essential Job Duties/Functions
- Opening and closing of plant facilities according to company policies, procedures, and guidelines when necessary
- Performs moisture cookouts according to the current procedure on a daily basis when necessary.
- Coordinates with Plant Manager or Area Manager in ordering sufficient raw materials (aggregates, admix, fibers, cementitious, etc.) to meet anticipated needs.
- Helps Plant Manager or Area Manager maintain proper inventory control procedures over materials to minimize waste.
- Performs visual tests (slump, uniformity of mix, etc.) on concrete loads to ensure compliance with standards, specifications, and/or customer requirements.
- Operates batch console to make ready mix concrete according to standards, specifications, and/or customer requirements.
- Maintains communication with drivers and customers to ensure effective utilization of ready mix trucks and efficient customer service when necessary.
- Ensures plant equipment, building and grounds are kept neat, clean and in good repair.
- Helps Plant Manager ensure all concrete mixer trucks are kept clean and free of concrete build-up on interior / exterior of concrete drum.
- Works with Dispatch, Plant Manager, and/or Area Manager to ensure the efficient and safe use of personnel to complete all required tasks.
- Provides a positive working environment and communicates employee issues to the Plant Manager or Area Manager appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Ensures employee awareness of safety and emergency policies and procedures, and report violations.
- Informs dispatch on a timely basis of any plant activity, issues or concerns that might impact customer service.
- Communicates with support departments (Fleet/Plant maintenance, QC, HR, Safety, etc...) on a timely basis to identify and resolve questions and/or issues.
- Operates equipment on the plant site as needed.
- Completes administrative tasks timely and accurately to include ready mix delivery tickets, delivery tickets, raw material receipts, and other reports as needed/requested.
- Coordinates how to handle returned concrete to the plant and manages returned concrete piles (Plant specific procedures)
- Although the Batchman position does not directly manage drivers and plant employees, a Batchman is often required to direct those employees during the course of the day. That direction should not be confused as management oversight and does not give the Batchman the ability to discipline those employees. If there is a disagreement in that direction it should be reported to the plant manager or area operations manager for further action.
- Other duties as assigned.
- HS diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum age of 21 years old required.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in concrete production required to include at least 1 year as a concrete mixer driver preferred.
- Current, valid state driver's license required.
- Current, valid Class A or B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) preferred.
- Satisfactory driving and criminal record.
- Prefer ACI Field Grade 1 Certification or ability to pass written and hands on test.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills (oral and written).
- Demonstrates proficiency with simple math calculations including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (especially percentages) as well as measurements.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Five Cubits Trackit, Command Batch Systems
- Demonstrates ability to successfully handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrates ability to plan, organize and prioritize tasks.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demostrates ability to identify and solve problems.
- Working knowledge of concrete batch plant.
- Must be able to speak, understand, read and write English.
- Command Batch System
- Manual Batch Station
- Two-way radio
- Cell phone
- Various hand tools
- Front-end loader
- Small scale, calculator
- Concrete mixer truck
- Fax machine
- Computer / Various software programs
- Must be able to pass Department of Transportation (DOT) physical requirements.
- Frequent periods of sitting in a chair or standing.
- Frequent/occasional reaching, grabbing and pulling files and papers.
- Frequent/occasional use of fingers, wrists and hands to enter data via computer keyboard.
- Occasional lifting of up to 100 lbs.
- Occasional/frequent climbing of steps and ladders.
- Occasional/frequent stooping, squatting, bending, kneeling and twisting.
- Occasional pushing and pulling.
- Must be able differentiate colors.
- Must be able to hear noises.
Environmental Conditions (Personal protective equipment is provided where required or requested)
- Majority of work is performed indoors.
- Occasional exposure to elements of weather to include extremes in heat, cold, dust and moisture for limited periods.
- Occasionally/frequently exposed to rough, muddy and icy walking surface conditions.
- Intermittent exposure to high noise levels and vibration.
- Occasional/frequent exposure to moving parts/pieces of equipment.
- Frequent exposure to cement, concrete, admixtures, dust, diesel fuel, and other substances that may cause burns, be toxic or explosive if handled incorrectly.
- Frequently exposed to water and wet conditions.